To Russell B. Carson, M.D.
Much of the material that constitutes the History of Urology in Florida came from the files of the first Broward County urologist, Russell B. Carson, M.D.
A third generation Floridian, Russell Carson was born in Frostproof in 1907 and was educated in medicine at the University of Florida and Tulane University School of Medicine, 1935. He practiced urology in Fort Lauderdale from 1939 to 1986, after being associated with Dr. Louis M. Orr of Orlando.
Dr. Carson served as a Major in the U.S. Army from 1942 to 1946 and was Chief of Urology of the 173rd General Hospital in France. He was President of the Broward County Medical Association, 1968 – 1969 and founder of its journal, The Record in 1956. He served on many committees and became Vice President of the Florida Medical Association, 1969 – 1970.
He served on the Medical Advisory Committee to the Dean of Medicine, University of Florida, 1969 – 1978. Active in the College of Surgeons and the American Medical Association, he was President of Florida Blue Shield for eight years, a member of the Executive Committee of the National Association of Blue Shield Plans, 1958 – 1966, and Chairman of the Board, 1964 – 1966. He served as Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Urology, University of Miami, 1962 – 1985.
Dr. Carson was President of the Southeastern Section of the American Urological Association in 1954, after serving as Secretary – Treasurer from 1947 to 1952. He was elected to Honorary Membership of the South Central Section of the AUA in 1950. Historian for the SESAUA from 1965 to 1985, he and his wife Eleanor produced History of the Southeastern Section 1931 – 1981. He was a co-founder of the American Association of Clinical Urology, 1969. Dr. Carson made many significant contributions to the American Urological Association and was selected as Honorary Member at the 1997 Annual Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana. Currently he is serving as one of the Editors of the Centennial History of the AUA scheduled to be published in 2002.